Tuesday, July 29, 2014

San Antonio RWA Conference - A Recap

The National Romance Writers of America Conference was held in San Antonio this year.  I didn't actually register for the conference (I rarely go to workshops anymore.)  I went to meet with my editor and agent and see my friends.  Oh, and go to the Harlequin party.  I haven't been to RWA in 5 years (frowny face) and I seriously used to go every single year.   Ah well.

Lonnie and I drove down Thursday morning.  We didn't stay at the conference hotel - we chose to say at the historic Riverwalk Vista, a boutique hotel built in 1883 and beautifully restored.  They have a continental breakfast from 8-10 every morning,  a snack (lemonaide and cookies or scones) at 3, and then wine at 5.

Here's the hotel listed in Historic Hotels of America


Inside our room




 The interior was beautiful



And here's the exterior of the hotel.


It was a short walk from the conference and across the street from the riverwalk.  I had a view of a beautiful orange sculpture outside my window.


We got down there Thursday and our room wasn't ready yet (check in time is 3 and it was 1:30) so we headed to the river to have a bite to eat and a beer.  We stopped at an old favorite of mine - Mad Dog - an tried the Scotch Eggs.  Wonderful.  Amazing.  I will definitely try them again.



Since I didn't have any meetings until Friday, after lunch when our room got ready, we unpacked and then decided to explore the Riverwalk.  Since we've been there so many times, we know what we like.  We had reservations at Boudro's for Saturday night, but decided to cancel them and just go Thursday.

I'm glad we did.  There was no wait.  And it was absolutely wonderful.

My traditional Prickly Pear Margarita.



My appetizer - crab cakes.

Lonnie's appetizer - shrimp cocktail


Lonnie always gets this at Boudro's - blackened Prime Rib


I usually get coconut shrimp, but tonight I got the filet and lobster.  (We are celebrating my latest contract after all!)


And for dessert, we shared Louisiana Bread Pudding.

This is part one of my San Antonio post.  I'll do part two tomorrow.

No comments: